ugg boots leather Terror as skylight shatters on top of baby in pram in Scots shopping centre

ugg ascot slippers Terror as skylight shatters on top of baby in pram in Scots shopping centre

Terror as skylight shatters on top of baby in pram in Scots shopping centreEYEWITNESSES said they could hear screaming after the window in East Kilbride’s Plaza combusted and covered shoppers in glass.12:46, 11 FEB 2015Updated14:25, 11 FEB 2015The glass crashed on to shoppers in the Plaza

Get daily updates directly to your inbox+ SubscribeThank you for subscribing!

Could not subscribe, try again laterInvalid Email

A BABY in a pram was among the panicked shoppers that were showered in glass when a skylight shattered in a shopping centre.

Luckily, no one was injured, but many were left dazed and stunned by the terrifying incident at the Plaza in East Kilbride on Monday afternoon.

Quick thinking shop staff ran to the aid of a toddler and a baby who were covered in glass and led them and their carer to safety. Another shopper, suffering from shock, was given first aid.

Eyewitness Scott Wilson (35), who was on a tea break from his work in the Plaza Tower,
ugg boots leather Terror as skylight shatters on top of baby in pram in Scots shopping centre
said he heard an almighty crash.

“There was a loud bang then the sound of lots of glass smashing,” he said. “I heard a couple of screams then people started running away there was glass everywhere.

“People were panicking, not sure of what had happened and wondering where all the glass had come from.

“Most of the glass fell on a woman, a toddler and a baby in a pram who were at a cash machine outside WH Smith, and some hit teenagers sitting on benches.”

Scott said centre security staff were quickly on the scene and the area was cordoned off. Police officers also provided assistance.

The safety glass which fell from the roof is unlikely to pose a threat when it shatters.

It crumbles into small granular chunks of similar size and shape instead of splintering into random, jagged shards, to prevent injury.

But the father of the one year old who was showered in the glass said he was deeply concerned this could happen in a busy shopping centre.

East Kilbride Shopping Centre received more bad news when it was revealed that USC faced closure

John Duncan (32) said: “My daughter was with her childminder, who was also caring for another toddler, when the glass crashed down right next to them. They could all have been seriously hurt.”

Centre management said specialist engineers and health and safety officers are working to determine the exact cause of the failure, stressing that shoppers are not at risk.

Confirming the incident,
ugg boots leather Terror as skylight shatters on top of baby in pram in Scots shopping centre
a spokesman for the shopping centre said: “There are no reported injuries and our security team immediately cordoned off the area to allow the glass to be gathered for further analysis.

“There have been no issues with the glass in this area previously.

“The safety of staff and visitors is our highest priority and centre management is now liaising closely with specialist engineers and health and safety officers to determine the exact cause and ensure there is no further risk.”